You can learn a lot from someone based on how they react to a POC telling them they’re doing something unintentionally racist.
How someone interested in fighting racism responds:
- "I didn’t know that! I’ll avoid doing/saying that from now on."
How someone who doesn’t care about racism responds:
- "Who are you, the PC police?"
- "Calm down."
- "It’s really not a big deal."
- "You’re just racist against white people!"
- "There are bigger battles to fight."
- "I don’t complain when someone does (rude but not racist thing against white people)!"
- "My (POC) friend says/does that all the time!"
- "I was trying to APPRECIATE you!"
Fact: If your argument involves any of the following, it’s not an effective argument.